Title_Picture

Title_Picture

Monday 28 March 2011

What's it all about Alfie?


There comes a time in ones life when you don't really know where you are going or what you want to achieve in your life. There also comes a time when you feel like you've been overlooked in your career and you begin to feel like you are entering a state of limbo, a sense of not belonging to anything. Aligned to the winds, an unpredictable time indeed!

I've worked in IT now for 15 years+ and I had a plan that when I turned 30+ - I'd be a manager....
It doesn't quite work like that.
The thing is - I really dont think I'm cut out for it. The real truth behind the matter is that you have to be a certain 'kind' of person.
You've got to step on everyone to get there, you've got to 'brown-nose' an awful, you've got to take all the credit for things and you've got to be ruthless......I now truly believe I can do none of the above. So maybe my struggle is fruitless and I shouldn't be ranting.
Its a crying shame, that nowadays, its not about the amount of work and dedication you put in, Its the above that provides us with that all important 'ladder'. Work ethics have really changed - and for the worse I fear.........I'm not bitter at all! ;)

I think I'm having a midlife crisis - is this what it feels like? I don't like the feeling of not being in control of my destiny - to feel envious and bitter at others success in the workplace. I'm not that kind of person.....but bad luck changes a man.....

Resolutions for the coming year:-

a). Try not to feel bitter anymore or ressent others success.

b). Give 80% rather than the usual 140% at work. (Hard work and dedication no longer guarantees success).

c). Spend more time concentrating on the things that matter in life - i.e. my family.

Moral of my story:- Work to live - never live to work.

I will be a success - no, let me re-phrase this.........

I AM a success. I have a wonderful baby boy and a fantastic wife. These are things success and money CANNOT buy.

I feel sorry for those that think it can!




No comments:

Post a Comment